But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. (Eph. 5:3)
Some practical ways to maintain sexual purity . . .
- Practice discretion with your eyes, dress, speech, and behavior. Avoid conversation, eye contact, and prayer of an intimate nature.
- Learn to be modest, rather than enticing men and causing them to lust.
- Keep free from emotional entanglements. Guard your heart!
- Do not indulge in mental fantasies.
- Do not indulge in unholy thoughts and desires such as a crush on another woman’s husband.
- Do not act bold and flirtatious.
- Do not use sexually explicit or coarse language.
- Do not be entertained by off-color humor that legitimizes sexual sin.
- Abstain from physical contact that could stimulate illegitimate sexual desires.
- Keep the marriage bed undefiled—yours and others’.
- Do not withhold sex from your spouse (making him more vulnerable to sin).
- Put high hedges up in regard to email and cell phones.
- Do not feed on books, movies, or music that fuels romantic desires that cannot be legitimately fulfilled.
- Meditate on and practice Phil. 4:8 in your entertainment choices: “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
- Be willing to do battle when tempted.
- Be accountable.
- Resolve to be pure and to wait until marriage. It’s a whole lot harder to wait once you have tasted it.
Copyright Revive Our Hearts. Written by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. Used with permission. www.ReviveOurHearts.com